Sunday, June 27, 2010

One Sings, The Other Pees

I had one of "those moments" this morning. The story is below - you out there in blog land may not find it that interesting - but with my forgetful pregnant mind I wanted to make sure to capture the memory for myself.

We joined a Fellowship in our town and go there each week. Sunday School is on a break for the summer, so until September Ry hangs with us during the service (Cole and Charlie are quietly tucked away in the nursery).

Today was a hymn ceremony. Basically people called out numbers of hymns from the song book and we sang them. Simple concept.

A quick but relevant back story: Ry has been reading for around a year and a half. He doesn't like to advertise it and gets embarassed when we ask him to read out loud. So to encourage him, we give him a point for every book he finishes. We keep a log and 10 points equals a dollar...he's saving up for a Nerf gun.

I told him this morning that following along with the hymns would earn him a point...talk about divine inspiration.

In the beginning of the service he just read along in a quiet whisper while we sang. But by the end he was totally into it, and belted out the tunes (and by that I mean singing at the top of his lungs) while he clapped along to the music. It was so nice to watch him let go, and he picked up on it so naturally. That's my memory frozen in time.

Of course I need to wrap this up with the Cole icing on this cake. Phil snuck out early to get the younger boys in the nursery. We had just finished our last song and someone was giving the closing words. Cole ran into the sanctuary to give me a hug, and during a moment of complete silence he screamed (seriously, it was the opposite of a whisper), "MOMMY I WENT PEE ON THE POTTY!!"

Hallelujah!

No comments: