Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Frankie Boy

The part where I said I wasn't going to drag my Arizona trip out in blog posts was a lie.

I feel like I need to dedicate a separate post to the awesomeness that's known as Frank Lloyd Wright's house Taliesin West.

We were lucky enough to catch a night tour and it was just a perfect evening.  Frankie lived in Wisconsin but set up his winter home in AZ.  When he built it he brought a bunch of architecture students with him and they literally plopped down in the middle of the dessert and built the estate rock by rock.

It's still a home to many of the people that helped build it, and is also a school for about 30 architecture students. 


He was so particular about his design - this vase was here before they put windows on the house.  When the glass went up he didn't want to move the vase, even an inch, so he had the students cut a hole to accomodate.


The door between his room and the other wing of the house where his wife stayed.




I may not know know anything about architecture (except what I learned when George Costanza worked at Vandalay Industries) but I do know that this place was the bomb.  Thanks for the memories Mr. Wright!

No comments: