Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Cricket Thermometer

We had central air conditioning installed a few weeks ago. The first half of the summer was so unbearably hot that we finally broke down and got the job done. Of course, Murphy's Law dictated that the rest of the summer would be cool, breezy, and perfect for sleeping with the windows open.

This leads me to my story. Last night we were getting ready for bed (windows open, of course). Listening to the crickets chirping, Phil hit me with a fun fact: "Did you know that you can tell the temperature outside by counting the number of cricket chirps in 15 seconds and then adding 37?"

It was the most random thing I ever heard in my life. I immediately turned on the Weather Channel for documentation and demanded that we test it out.

It worked! We tested it about 57 times and give or take a few degrees, he was dead on.

Phil's randomness strikes again!


No comments: