Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Life Before 8 am

People ask me all the time what my mornings look like. To me it all seems very normal and manageable – until you throw in the inevitable tantrum or have to spend 10 minutes convincing your almost-4-year-old that his legs are not broken and he CAN get out of bed if he would just try (true story - see bullet #6).

For all of you who have asked, here is my account of a typical morning (this morning, to be exact):



  • Woke up and scanned work emails for any overnight drama. More importantly, played my turns on Words With Friends

  • Folded laundry/put in new load (truthfully I just needed clean socks, I'm usually not that motivated)

  • Threw together dinner and revved up the crock pot

  • Got myself showered, dressed, and presentable for work

  • Woke up #1 and #2 out of Daylight Savings coma

  • Convinced #2 that his legs were not broken, he was just tired. Got #1 and #2 dressed, teeth brushed, wrestled with cowlicks

  • Woke up #3. Dressed, teeth brushed, wrestled with cold medicine

  • Woke up #4. Changed clothes, fed bottle, wrestled with reflux medicine

  • Reflux medicine rebelled. #4 puked on me – back to the closet to change shirt

  • Brief moment of scowling due to the fact that I really liked how I looked in the now-puked-filled shirt

  • Hustled all kids downstairs for granola bars and juice

  • Crawled around on hands & knees searching for the stuffed hippo so #2 could bring something grey to show & tell. Finally located said hippo in pantry

  • Corralled #2 and #3 into van. Drove to daycare

  • Dropped kids off, completely forgot that #3 is out of diapers

  • Drove to drug store, picked up overly priced diapers. Drove back to daycare to drop them off

  • Back into van, convinced myself to ignore the gas light and wait until after work to fill up

  • Drove to the Q to start my second job. Settled into desk at 8 am

  • Sipped lukewarm tea in peace and quiet. Ohm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT posting, love it!! (I hate those show-n-tell bring something gray or something that starts with the letter Q.)

The Kerpers said...

It was either something grey or something that started with the letter X. Cole thought it had to be both and was searching high and low for a grey xylophone. I had to talk him off the ledge and convince him that we had no xylophone. X?! C'mon!!