Thursday, June 28, 2012

Watch Your Back Michael Phelps

Ry had his first swim meet on Saturday morning.  Holy Hannah, what an experience.

So there are around 250 kids on each team - that makes for 500 kids plus their parents all vying for the best spots by the pool and the best donuts at the snack bar.

The roster got posted and Ry was up for the 25 freestyle (Event 6) and the 25 backstroke (Event 28.  Yes, I said event 28...it was a long morning).

All was well until about Event 2.  Ry started shaking and was pretty clingy to me.  I asked what was wrong and he looked up at me with these dewy eyes and said, "Ohhh my gosh I.Am.So.Nervous."

Ry isn't one to express a lot of emotion, so I was both shocked and happy that he was able to communicate his feelings.  When he got up to the block he looked like he was going to either (a) Puke or (b) Bust out crying.

There are so many kids that they have the swimmers for the upcoming heat join hands as they walk to the starting blocks - this way they don't get sucked into the crazy crowds.

But he got up on the block, "dove" in, and swam the fastest I've ever seen him go.  Granted, he came in 5th out of 5 kids, but they gave him a ribbon when he got out of the pool and he was grinning from ear to ear. 

(He's the second kid from the top of the screen - you'll know it's him by his not-so-graceful dive-jump maneuver.) 


He said, "I think Cole's gonna be pretty jealous of my ribbon" and then he just kept petting it saying, "Wow...green silk with gold trim..."

At least the kid doesn't lack confidence.  Here's to a successful summer, no matter what color ribbons he scoops up.


No comments: